Monday, November 24, 2014

Darn it!

This fall's knitting theme has been finish it/fix it. Fortunately after the last crazy year I have plenty of fuel. Between leaving one job and starting a non-profit sleep, much less knitting time, has been at a premium around here.

Darned sock - the same yarn was used for the darn and the original sock. The fading was terrible.

The best part of fix it/finish it is the time from re-picking up the project to completion is so much faster. Lots of finished things flying off the needles. My main fix it inspiration has been Tom of Holland - The Visible Mending Programme: making and re-making.


Before weaving in the ends

These socks are about 5 years old. I bought the yarn while in Lynchburg doing an AP Computer Science training several years back, and we very excited about the bright colors.. The yarn has held up well, but the color was a dud after the first washing. Machine washed in cold water - so no chance heat did this. Had the store not been 3 hours away I definitely would have tried to return the yarn.

The idea of using mending as decoration and art is fascinating. I've been avoiding reinforcing these socks because the yarn had faded so badly that the original yarn didn't even look similar. The darns you see here are in the original yarn. Quite the difference. Finally last week the heel busted out, so it was either fix or toss. I still can't toss hand knitted socks.

    

I darned by marking off a large rectangle around the worn area. I went out beyond the busted yarn until I found yarn that wasn't thinning. I picked up stitches beneath this rectangle and knitted a flap long enough to cover the hole, then sewed down the edges. The first time I got fance and tried picking up the stitches from the sock along the edge of the flap and incorporate them as I knit. Big mistake - terrible puckering and a big lump under my heel.



The fixes went well, and I added some color back to the front the stitching on some hearts on the toes.

Before washing I plan on using the method talked about in the Knitmore Girls podcast for locking in color.


Full story and solution here.

It is interesting. I had this issue when I first started dyeing. I've since mastered it, and haven't had a repeat. It is sad someone selling their work has this drastic an issue. 

No comments: